For one of the statements below, write a response of 500 words or more in MLA format* as to why you have the belief you do.
*If you are having difficulty with MLA formatting, do your best: we’ll review MLA formatting in class.
- Those who would exchange freedom for security deserve neither.
- To assure our country’s freedom, the government should be able to spy on its citizens.
- Patriotism means supporting your government during times of war.
- Torture of a person who is a threat to our country’s freedom is acceptable as long the person does not die.
- People who are a serious threat to the government should be able to be held in prison without being charged.
- The government has a right to know what people are reading so they may determine who might be a threat.
- Society would be safer if we had security cameras in public places to catch potential criminals.
- For an idea to exist, we must have words to express it.
- Reporters should submit their work to government officials so they may determine if it’s a threat to the country.
- The only way to prepare for peace is to be prepared for war.